How to protect your network against wifi hack?
Perhaps you think that the neighbor connecting to your network to check e-mail it’s harmful . But let a stranger on the use of your network is as if to let him watch all data sent by it . If you have your own WiFi network , it is very important to protect it from unauthorized users and devices by using the appropriate configuration of the router.
Here are a few tips to help you improve the security of the wireless network.
1. Encrypt using WPA2
After you set up your wireless network appears , the option of encryption. In the case of a home network of users , the encryption to be incorporated (in contrast to the so-called . Open network ) , and as a select WPA2 encryption method . WEP is not secure , and some of the advanced methods are generally beyond the reach of most home users. It is important to ensure also that the password was unique , it should be fairly long and contain a combination of letters and numbers. Do not turn the WPS ( WiFi Protected Setup ) . This mechanism does not always work in a coherent way, and nine-digit PIN is susceptible to attempts guessing
2. Change the standard password
Many routers come with a default password for the software which provides administrative panel . Users in the network configuration should immediately change the password for the admin to protect against unauthorized access to change the configuration of the router. In addition to changing your password , you should check whether the router is pre-configured SSIDs. You should change the password for the default SSID even when we do not use these networks.
3. Clear the list of SSIDs
Speaking of SSID – suppliers often use very general identifiers. Should be changed from the default to something more unique . Having a unique SSID and password makes it a potential attacker is more difficult to break . Besides, it is best to simply delete all the SSID , which is not in use. After clearing the list , it is to hide the name . The idea is not to spread the name of the network to all devices. The network can be connected only by manually entering the SSID name. Unauthorised persons will not even know that the area has some WiFi .
4. Find out who is connected to the network
Administration panel generally has a section called ” Device List “, which displays the IDs of all devices connected to the wireless network. It is good practice to periodically review this list to ensure that all devices are known to us . To prevent connecting to unknown devices , you can use MAC address filtering . This requires knowledge and entry hardware addresses (MAC Address) devices to the administration panel .
Is it possible to efficiently protect the network against wifi hack?
Of course it is, you only need to read a little infofrmacji on network security. Many manufacturers such as Cisco routers organizes various training which teaches how effectively you can secure wifi before nieporządanymi people. None of us probably do not realize what it means to weakly protected network. Courses which are organized by Cisco, really attract a lot of people, which of these courses are really very happy. If you are interested in wifi networks you should definitely go for this type of course.
Three steps to wireless network security
- The first step should be to log into your wireless router or access point and change the default username and password. You should never leave the factory settings for the administration without changes , it is easy for them to find , and it gives potential attackers full control over the configuration of the network.
- The next step is to change the SSID or wireless network name . The name should not have to do with the physical location ( for example, should not include the name or address ) , or the name of the manufacturer of the router. Any additional information is present for a potential intruder – why give him know that a network router or brand should take on dating ?
- If the user is logged into the control panel of the router , you should configure encryption on your network . This is the most important step towards maintaining safety , ensuring that no one will be able to spy on user activity or use of the network without his permission. When it comes to the way encryption , the user should have a choice between two or three possible methods : WEP , WPA and WPA2 . The strongest of these is WPA2 and every new device bearing the logo of the Wi-Fi Certification must support this standard . Encryption key for WPA or WPA2 should be sufficiently complex and composed of random elements – all in order to protect against attempts to break into the network. Take advantage of a random combination of uppercase and lowercase characters and numbers – to secure your network just eight-character encryption key . If you are using older equipment and there is no choice WPA2 , WPA should choose . It should avoid WEP . Hacking WEP security is very simple, there are many tools to facilitate this task even for novice attackers . A popular home hardware that does not support WPA2 is the Sony PSP, but even this device supports WPA.